Saturday, August 17, 2013

Quick thoughts on Edgar Allan Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher

"During the whole of a dull, dark, and soundless day in the autumn of the year, when the clouds hung oppressively low in the heavens, I had been passing alone, on horseback, through a singularly dreary tract of country, and at length found myself, as the shades of the evening drew on, within view of the melancholy House of Usher."

Edgar Allan Poe
The Fall of the House of Usher


You cannot imagine the impact this short-story has had on me. I read it before going to sleep and I think that was a bad idea, I loved the story but then I kept dreaming about Lady Madeleine coming after me. Sometimes that happens, right? Something you read sticks with you and you keep turning it over in your head. I want to read this short story over and over again, I want to discover all of its meanings, I want to understand it all. It has a haunting effect on me, just like the house had on Frederick Usher.

It has always amazed how dark and grim Edgar Allan Poe's stories can be, but at the same time so addictive. I'm addicted to this one in particular. 

What are about you? Are you a fan of Edgar Allan Poe?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a story that I do regret having to read for school. Don't get me wrong, I loved it! I love Poe. But it was SUCH a creepy story and I ended up having to center my year's project around it and looking into all the hidden meanings and references, which made it even scarier.

Even though this one is probably better, on the horror lever, I mean, but my favourite is the Masque of the Red Death. I read it so long ago, but I can still remember most of its details.

:D

Melissa Vizcarra said...

Thank you so much for your comment, Manno! I loved this story, but you are right, it is really creepy. And the best and worst part of it is that it leaves so much to your own imagination, so the creepiness really has no boundaries. Edgar Allan Poe certainly had a weird but fantastic obsession with death. I'm looking forward to reading more of his stories.